Ironman Champion...Inventor...Business Owner

TJ Tollakson is the Swiss Army Knife of People...A true Renaissance Man. He is an Ironman Champion, Mad Scientist Inventor, and Owner of Rüster Sports and Dimond Bikes.
Tollakson.com
RüsterSports.com
DimondBikes.com

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thrice as Nice Ironman Arizona Race Report



Thrice as Nice…Ironman Arizona Race Report
November 18, 2012

After sitting on the sidelines for Kona this year, I made Ironman Arizona my goal race for the end of the year and I was there to win. This was my third time racing in Arizona, and my previous two finishes I was second. This year I was entering the race a bit fresher, a lot more experienced, and I would be wearing bib number 3. I was hoping the third time was the charm, but as it turned out, the third time was just thrice as nice as I wore bib #3, in my third attempt at the event,  I finished third. It was not quite the result I was hoping for, but it was still a solid race.

I spent the two months before the race in Tucson, Arizona so I was able to make a short drive to Tempe on Friday morning with Ashley. It is always a nice change to be able to drive to a race. We stayed at the Aloft hotel just over a mile from the race start. The logistics in Tempe are some of the easiest of any Ironman event on the circuit.
It was chilly in the morning with temperatures in the low 50’s but the water was actually warmer in the low 60’s. I chose to wear the full sleeve TYR Freak of Nature wetsuit and Racetech Metalized goggles. The goggle choice was very important on the day as we started out swimming in the dark, but soon were headed straight into the sunrise. The metalized goggles were the best choice for high visibility swimming into the sun, and the Racetech model made sure the fit was second to none.  I started the swim out hard and made sure to have a tactical swim after having a poor swim at Austin three weeks ago.  I was quickly in the lead on the swim, but there was a very large group of about 15 guys and there was very little separation.  I quickly dropped back to take advantage of the draft and conserve as much energy as possible.  I had to keep an eye on the front of the pack to make sure there wasn’t any separation in the lead group, but it was a very tame and calm swim. I exited in the front pack and quickly hopped on the Black Dimond bike and within minutes was in the front of the race. Several miles into the first lap, Andrew Starykowicz passed me for the lead. I was fine with Starky taking the lead because I would feel comfortable spotting him up to 10 minutes on the marathon, and I knew he wasn’t going to get anywhere near 10 minutes on me, but I also knew my best race would be to race my power and pace on the bike. The unfortunate part of riding my pace and power is that a large group of pros out of the water with me all maintained my pace (not power), by riding legally 10m (and often illegally closer) behind me. Some athletes have honor and respect for the rules, some don’t. I’m not writing this to complain or whine, it is part of racing and I have to deal with it. I do wish there was a better way to enforce drafting on the bike, but in the meantime, I will just continue to race with honor and hope others choose to do the same.  I made sure to maintain a constant intake of 1 PowerBar Energy Gel every 20 minutes, and I had three flavors with me, Green Apple, Kona Punch, and Vanilla (the finest of the flavors). I had one packet of PowerBar Gel Blasts at 56 miles then another at 93 miles. I also had 12 salt capsules on the bike. The Dimond was fast and very aerodynamic. I was able to break the old bike course record, but unfortunately, Andrew Starykowicz was bit faster than me on the day. I rode 4:19:03 on the day, 25.93 mph average.  My average power was 281, norm power was 290.

I got off the bike and was 1:50 down on Starky, and it only took me just over 2 miles to catch him. I ran that first mile a bit fast in just under 6 minutes, and I was really trying to hold back. I settled in a better pace after the first mile, but about 5 miles into the run, I was having some GI distress and just was not feeling great. I knew it was time to hit the coke and settle down the stomach. For some reason the coke always seems to help calm my stomach. I really miss having the PowerBar Energy Gel available on the run course and feel most of my stomach distress was caused by using a different gel than what I train with. I know I shouldn’t have tried it, but sometimes during a race, you just start grabbing whatever you can. I’ll make sure I bring my own PowerBar Energy Gel next time. I was passed for the lead around mile 10. I took my special needs bag at mile 12 then started sipping on my Red Bull and that really turned some things around for short while, but soon after Paul Mathews (Barney) passed me on the run. I kept him close for about 5 more miles before I started struggling again, and he put about 2 minutes on me. I made a big come back push at mile 19. I thought I was going to have a go at catching Paul, but he was a bit too far in front and running well.  I ran hard until mile 26 when I realized I wasn’t going to catch Paul. I could hear him crossing the finish line, so I let up just a little that last little bit. I ended up running a 2:56:01 marathon, so maybe I should have pushed about 30 seconds hard that last mile just to run a 2:55, but there really wasn’t much point. I was third and happy with my effort on the day. So much of an Ironman race is managing highs and lows; knowing not to push too hard when you feel great and knowing not to let up too much when you feel like hell. I definitely had some highs and lows in Tempe, but overall it was a great race and new PR on a very fast day. I went 8:07:36. I wanted to run a 2:50 marathon, and that would have won the race. I still feel capable of running a sub 2:50 marathon, but just need to put it into action and make it happen.  I’ll keep practicing until I can’t get it wrong. I want to thank all my family and friends who watched the race and cheered for me. Thank you to Coach Cliff English for being out on the course and providing splits and encouragement. It was awesome to have so much support out on the course. I also need to thank my sponsors, without their support I wouldn’t be able to race as a professional. Thank you to TYR Sport, Mizuno Running, PowerBar, Yurbuds, Maxxis Tires, Profile Design Aerobars, TriSports.com, Zipp Wheels, SRAM components, SRM Power Meters, HMB, Dimond Bikes, and Ruster Sports.



DEU
00:48:19
04:22:45
02:48:06
08:03:13
1
1
USA
00:48:27
04:24:31
02:48:27
08:04:58
2
2
USA
00:48:34
04:19:03
02:56:01
08:07:36
3
3
USA
00:52:28
04:26:02
02:52:02
08:14:41
4
4
FIN
00:51:36
04:32:03
02:48:36
08:16:09
5
5
USA
00:48:41
04:24:07
03:02:32
08:19:38
6
6
USA
00:48:42
04:16:31
03:10:50
08:20:36
7
7
USA
01:05:41
04:25:46
02:54:18
08:30:50
8
8

Work Hard,

TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment